Tuesday, May 24, 2011

the long way home.....



I should start this post saying be careful what you pray for, or perhaps, be very specific what you pray for. Our flights to and from Cancun were very early morning flights. I chose them because 1) they were cheap and 2)they had short layovers and were cheap. Our flight a week ago left Salt Lake City at 6:00 am, and the one coming back left at 7:00 am . Which meant both travel days we were up at the wee hours of the morning heading to the airport. Kelly kept giving me a bad time about the fact that on vacation we had to get up so much earlier than on days we were working. Did I mention the flights were cheap? :)

Getting back to praying. I was very worried on the way back we that would miss our connecting flight in Dallas because we had the shortest layover and had to get our bags and go through customs. I had heard stories of people recently needing more than the ninety minutes we had to clear customs. I remember saying a little prayer about it and praying we would land in Dallas on time and make our next flight. I did fail however to mention to Heavenly Father, that we didn't need nine hours in between flights to make it through customs. He sent hail and rain which cancelled and delayed flights. I don't recall asking for anything quite so drastic, but at two in the morning, I can't actually be sure what I requested.

Seriously, we had a long day yesterday. We finally walked through the door to our home at 11:00 pm last night. Most of our time was spend in gate C33 of the Dallas Airport. They had about a 30 minute freak storm that managed to shut down all flights in and out for a short time and then the rest of the day was spent playing catch up. There were times we didn't know if we would make it out of there yesterday, but eventually we did. When we finally landed in Salt Lake it was to find that our bags didn't want to come home from our vacation and were still hiding in Dallas or somewhere in between. We are still waiting to see if they will find there way home.

I told Kelly that yesterday didn't ruin our wonderful vacation, we will always have incredible memories of Cancun, just not great ones of gate C33 and American Airlines. :) Right before we finally boarded our flight, I was so tired and frustrated and then I saw this little three year old Asian girl. She had long pig tails and a bright pink tu tu playing leap frog with herself in and out and between the line at the gate. It made me smile. She had been waiting just as long as we had all day, and yet had managed to turn it into an adventure. Her little smile and joyful antics brightened up the long line of tired travelers. It was a little sunshine in a long day of storm clouds.

So if I have any advice at the conclusion of our long day yesterday it is to be careful what you pray for, because you just might get it. :) I just hope if you have a long hard day sometime, you get a little girl in a pink tu tu to make you smile. Oh and by the way, if you see any lost luggage by the side of the road, let me know.

1 comment:

The Classy Kitchen said...

That stinks! One thing I would of been thinking was grateful we at least didn’t have all the kids! I love all your pictures. I love all your thoughts and feelings and comments. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. I think I’m going to start saving my money!