Friday, April 16, 2010

the easter egg fiasco....


The night before we left for our trip, the day before Easter, Ryan asked a great girl to the Prom. He had it all figured out. He would drop a big chocolate easter egg off at her house with a note saying he would be honored and "egg-cited" if she would go with him to the Prom. Then he told her to go as soon as possible to a local park to find easter eggs with clues of his identity. Great plan, right? I was elected to go hide the eggs at the park while he doorbell ditched the chocolate egg on her porch. He called me from behind some bush in the neighbor's yard saying he thought he saw her running up the street to find out who dropped it off and was worried he was going to get caught. We learned later that it wasn't her running down the street. (Note to self, send binoculars next time)

Meanwhile I was off to hide eggs. It was 5:00 p.m. and cold and blustery outside. No one was at the park, so that was good. I hid the eggs around, slightly visible, but hunting would be required. I hurried and moved my car to an undisclosed location and hiked back to the park to hide behind a bush (now you know where Ryan got his undercover skills) and watched. I waited and waited and was getting cold. Still no prom date sightings. After about a half hour I thought I might be looking suspicious to neighbors because of my spying skills or lack thereof. All I needed was an arrest for stalking! (Note two to self, wear camoflauge clothing next time). I decided I would drive in loops around the park and see when she arrived, hoping that the eggs would be undisturbed. That was not to be. Ryan, by this time was at the Priesthood session of Conference and unreachable. (Note three to self, have a backup plan in place).

After another half hour, I was wondering if I had missed her? I again parked and hiked the back way into the park trying to spy plastic eggs in the distance. Suddenly, I saw a few kids walking through the park. I watched as my perfectly placed eggs were being gathered up and opened! Oh no! What should I do? Should I run up and grab them away from their little hands? I could see the evening news, "Tonight, a crazy lady was spotted at a local park stealing eggs from children, more news at 10:00..." I again didn't want to involve the police so I decided it was time to call it a day. It had been an hour and a half since the first message was placed and for whatever reason, she wasn't coming. Not that there were any eggs to gather at this point.

On to plan B, not that we had one yet. I went to the store and bought more plastic eggs, because we were going to need to figure out a way to do this again. We had left Kelly's cell phone number with the original note, with instructions to text "help" to that number if problems were to arise. We hadn't heard anything so we didn't know what to think. We decided to try again the next day on our way out of town and put the eggs in her yard. At 11:30 that night Kelly got a call on his cell phone from the dad of the future prom date, wondering if they should grab flashlights and head to the park. They had just arrived home. :) We told them not to worry, new directions would be given the next day.

On our way out of town, Ry dropped by and tossed the eggs around her front yard. It was snowing and he didn't want to leave footprints so tossing was as good as it got. :) Two days later, at Disneyland, Ryan got a text from an unknown number telling him to go to Sleeping Beauty's castle and find an attendant there and she would have something for him. Sure enough he got his answer right there at Disneyland. A handwritten note on parchment all rolled up with a ribbon. How did she pull that one off? Ryan said later, "I toss eggs around her yard and she figures out how to answer me at Disneyland!" What can I say, girls are pretty clever! Way to go Keslee. Looking forward to posting pictures soon.

6 comments:

Vicki said...

wow, that's the best date answer I've ever heard of. Hope they have fun!

The Stanley's said...

What a fun Prom correspondance. That is pretty clever to answer in Disneyland. Your trip looks like it was so much fun! Beautiful family, Val!!

Becky said...

What a fun way to be answered. All the craziness of the egg hunt was worth it after that response. Ryan will never forget this trip to Disneyland.

Happy Days said...

I love the way you asked her. I thought we were creative when I was in high school, but this was awesome! And how she answered him! Amazing! Very cool!

laurel said...

I am so laughing my head off. That sounds like the prom date invite from, well, you know. Can't believe so many things could go wrong. That means, you know, that the date will be extra great! And if you find out how the girl got the people at Disney to do that, let us all know!

Ryan Christensen said...

She had a friend that was going to Disneyland that same week. Haha it was rather funny the second I saw her everything made sense. She had a girl named Felicia take the paper and put it in the store than text me about it. It was actually her mom that texted me but yeah. Very quick and very creative.