Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring Break


Two years ago for Spring break we took a vacation to California and to Disneyland. We had a fabulous time, the park wasn't busy and we were able to relax and enjoy. Because of that experience, we decided to do it again this year. The difference was Alpine School District just happened to schedule their spring break with the rest of the world! So although we still had a great time, it was a bit more hectic and less relaxing than we had anticipated.

We drove the first day to Vegas and stayed with my sweet sister Cora and her family. They totally rolled out the red carpet. We had tons of room, great food and fun company. It's not easy to host a big family of six, but we were so comfortable and had such a great time. Ryan even held his cousin Jessa, he hasn't held a baby in such a long time. It was really sweet to watch this big kid of mine hold this little girl. He looked a bit stiff, but she warmed right up to him and put her head on his shoulder. Cassie had a great time playing with Jaydee, she loves playing the big sister role.

Ry with Jessa

Jessa and Jaydee



Then on to California. We had a great hotel that was less than a ten minute walk to the park. We spent three days enjoying the rides and the crowds there. Sometimes we had quite a wait in line, but I kept telling the kids it was good bonding time. I mean how often do I get everyone together when they can't go anywhere. :) Mark was still pretty hesitant to try some rides. Kelly and I split the time taking him around to the ones he wanted. The older three loved all the coasters and more exciting rides.

One of the highlights of the trip had to be the night we ordered pizza in our hotel room. We ordered their "big mama" sized one, thinking we have to feed Ry and Josh and really how big could it be? I remember thinking maybe just one pizza wouldn't be enough, we usually eat three Little Caesars; then the pizza arrived and we all gasped in amazement and then collapsed in laughter. That thing was huge, almost three feet in diameter, a few more inches and it wouldn't have made it through the door!! Needless to say, we were grateful for the microwave and fridge in our room, because we ate pizza a lot after that! Best value in Anaheim!


We spent a day in the middle of the week at the beach. Amazingly it wasn't crowded (probably because everyone was at Disneyland!) We flew kites, collected shells, built sand castles and played in the water. I even got some time to relax and read! Kelly was great getting down with the kids to build in the sand, or getting a kite up in the air! What a great man I married, I love to see him play with the kids, and even at times act like one of them!


I always forget that kids have the same issues with each other on vacation as they do at home, it just happens in smaller spaces! Rule number one, when you go on a trip don't to expect it or everyone to be perfect. We had our share of disagreements - similar to "he's touching me" or "she's breathing my air" (my favorite line from Elder Bednar's conference talk last fall). Mark and Cass sat in the back seat with the seat in the middle open. Most of the ride we kept hearing reports of someone crossing over the imaginary line drawn down the middle of the empty seat! Good grief of all the things to argue about, the seat? Really? I understand if it was over who ate the last cookie, but a seat? :)


I love my family. They make me smile and even through the struggling times it is always great to see the little things they do to help each other or make someone smile. I remember big hands of brothers reaching out to Mark to help him not be scared of a ride. I remember Cassie's laughter and smiles when everyone else was grouchy. When I asked her about it she said, "you don't want me to lose my happiness do you? Then what would we do?" I don't ever want her to lose her happiness! I will remember the times we all got SOAKED on Grizzly Rapids and spent the rest of the day drying out or the boys coaching me how to make it through Space Mountain (I survived by the way!) I loved the shared cotton candy and ice cream and catching Kelly's eye as we walked with our crew to yet another line. Families are the best, they are there for you through good and bad times and everything else in between.


6 comments:

laurel said...

Ohhhhh!!!! How fun! I love the beach and California. I lived in Anaheim for several years. I loved it. You have some great photos.

I can't believe the size of that pizza~~

The Andersons: said...

It looks like so much fun...what I wouldn't do for a little sun and sand right now! I love the picture of Ryan with Jessa...so precious (and now I feel like mom saying that!!) One last thing...I LOVE the hat!

Anna said...

Wow, so much fun! Looks like we might have to try out Disneyland for ourselves!

The Johnsons said...

It was fun to have you!!! :) I love all the pictures. And I love your hat. Super cute! Oh, and Jeff now wants to order that pizza. :)

The Classy Kitchen said...

Cute pictures! You look great in your hat and sunglasses! I loved the size of that pizza! Hilarious!

Amberly said...

I LOVE DISNEYLAND!!!