Wednesday, April 21, 2010

the domino effect...



Have you ever had days where something goes wrong first thing in the morning and then it's like a row of domino's, things keep falling apart at an increasing fast pace and you are hopeless to stop it? That was my day yesterday. I knew I had a full day when I woke up. I cataloged everything I had to do in my mind so I could accomplish everything. Of course, my short term memory is about ten seconds, but at least I had a plan. Later that night there was going to be a big activity with the Laurels and some of the sisters from the Relief Society. I was in charge of it so I knew all the final preparations would take the majority of my day.

Things got thrown off a little when Cassie missed her carpool and was late to school so I got a later start than I wanted, one domino down. On the way to school, I failed to come to a complete stop while turning right at an empty intersection and was pulled over and issued a citation. Hopefully the money will go towards something useful in my city! Cassie was at this point, totally in tears because she though it was her fault. I tried to tell her that unless her foot mysteriously took over the gas pedal, the blame was mine. I was trying not to get frustrated or break into tears because this wasn't scheduled into my agenda , so I'm sure my voice wasn't exactly calming when I spoke to her. I got kudos from the police officer for being polite; he said, (as he handed me a ticket) "Don't let this ruin your day ma'am" ( Was he kidding? and then added insult to injury by calling me ma'am!) Second domino down.

I got to the store for my first errand and realized my debit card was on the counter at home and I had used the last check that morning for lunch money. Third domino down. I made it home from my errands and started making the four cakes I needed to bake. I opened the fridge and realized I have zero eggs, so back to the store again! ( I am thinking taking a few minutes to make a list first thing that morning might have been a good idea) I made sure I had money this time and I stopped for at least three seconds at every stop sign. I was hoping that something would start to go my way if I was learning from previous mistakes. Fourth domino down. By now, they know me by name at the store..(happens when you are there three times in a half hour!) Maybe they thought I was trying to get some award for the millionth customer, and would keep coming in until something happened.

I was baking cakes and could only find one measuring cup for a fourth a cup. Ever try to count to 24 while adding six cups of flour to a recipe? If Josh were there he'd be yelling..."fifteen, six, hundred and two" while I was doing it. Cakes turned out beautifully amazingly enough...yeah, something went right! (Admit it, you thought I'd burn them didn't you?) I made some decorations for the night and they looked cute. I was on a roll. I did carpool, ran to the craft store to pick up some balloons and back home again to tackle homework. I forgot that helium balloons and ceiling fans should not coexist in the same space for any length of time...Eight balloons died in the battle and my dog will need therapy after all the loud popping and my screaming. Which domino are we on now?

Anyway, that was my day. I could add I lost patience with my kids, didn't get any housework done and it was FFYN (fend for yourself night) at dinner. I would not be up for any mom of the year awards, but maybe if I went back to the store, the customer of the day one would still be available.

The activity was a success. We had fourteen of the seventeen laurels there, their mom's, and some Relief Society sisters that had been secretly dropping things off to them this past month. The theme was a Chocolate Appreciation Night (I mean, I'm planning it, could it be anything else?) We had fun games that mixed people up and got the Laurels talking with different sisters they didn't know well. My candy bar type flower arrangement was cute, and all the cakes tasted good! All in all it was a success!.... Or was it? Sometimes I feel when I succeed in one area, I fail at being a mom. It's good that these days happen once in awhile so I can reevaluate things and hopefully learn something in the process. All I know is I don't want to eat chocolate for awhile and if I see a domino anytime soon I can't guarantee it's safety.

7 comments:

The Hurst Family said...

I so hate being called ma'am. You're activity was wonderful as are your children which are a testimony that your days like yesterday must be few and far between.

The Daniel Family said...

I want the recipe for that cake. It was so good!!! And the activity was fun!

marshallmadness said...

Val, you express yourself so well. Sorry about the ticket...that is NEVER fun. Poor Cassie too. Remember you have the bad days to help you appreciate the good. You're wonderful.

laurel said...

That made me laugh so hard. I am sorry to laugh at a day I know you didn't find funny. Glad the cakes turned out well. You are a good mom too, you taught them dedication, commitment and perserverance.

The Classy Kitchen said...

I loved the posting! Thanks for the great laugh! You are a fun, creative writer! I think for Mother's Day someone should give you dominoes!

Kristin said...

Valorie, you are so funny! It's great to see your family. I'll have fun following your blog!

Dione said...

Have you seen the new art/jewelry using dominoes? You'd have quite the collection. I know why Laurel is laughing, it's because she (and I) know these days all too well!