Saturday, May 1, 2010

it started with a tree and grew into so much more...

Summer of 89 I met the man I would later marry. We met at a stake young adult activity, planting trees on a church welfare farm. He was six months off his mission and I was taking a summer break between my two years at Ricks College. He was putting the trees in the holes and I was in charge of making sure they were straight and aligned with others in the row. He was making me laugh and I was trying to figure out why I had never bumped into him before, considering we grew up practically neighbors. To this day Kelly tells people that from the day we met I have been telling him what to do and not much has changed. :)

The first thing I remember about Kelly was his sense of humor. Not many people could have as much fun in the sun and the dirt as we did that day planting trees, Kelly kept things light and happy that afternoon. For the next year and a half we ended up on dates together..although he would be dating my friends and I his. In October of 90 I was living in an apartment in Provo, but started attending some activities in my old Stake ward in Orem. I was setting a roommate up on a blind date and she wanted me to get a date and come along. I was recently out of a relationship and didn't know who to ask. I thought, "I'll ask my friend Kelly.." who I admit I'd been thinking a lot about recently. Thank goodness he said yes. Good thing I was smart back then and didn't wait around for him to ask me out! That next February we were engaged and April 30, 1991 we married in the Salt Lake temple.

As I think back over the last nineteen years I am amazed at the impact of that decision. When I said yes that day in the temple, I never could have imagined what the next nearly two decades would have in store. I always tell my kids that service brings blessings. Who would have thought that something else was planted that day besides apple trees and later blossomed into so much more. I love you Kelly! You are and will always be my greatest blessing, my best friend and owner of my heart. Happy Anniversary!

We were able to get away to a local resort for a couple of days and it was a wonderful break. Thanks to the kids and others who helped make this spontaneous trip happen.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Happy Anniversary!

The Brown Family said...

Happy Anniversary! Is it possible that we are really getting *that* close to big, milestone anniversaries?? I can't wait!

Love
Kim

The Hurst Family said...

Happy Anniversary Christensens. By the way...that picture of you two looks like it was somewhere I've recently been also. Could that be....Disneyland?

laurel said...

Happy Anniversarty! You are a great couple. We love you both.

The Classy Kitchen said...

Now you made me cry! That was a beautiful posting. Thanks for sharing your heart and feelings with us all. I'm glad you met Kel on that farm, as I've always loved him as well!

Rachael Anderson said...

I love your hat, Val! You look so cute!