Sunday, October 10, 2010

fuzzy pink socks....

It's always surprising what triggers memories. Today it was a pair of bright pink fuzzy socks. My toes were cold and I went digging in my sock drawer and came upon these bright fuzzy socks. A year ago today I was recovering from my thyroid surgery. A gift bag was dropped off from some of Kelly's work associates and it had these hot pink soft socks in them. I am typically not a sock person, but I remember as I was secluded during my radiation treatment how cold my feet got and how I wore these socks often. They have been tucked at the back of my drawer for the better part of a year, but today I saw them and so many memories of a year ago returned.

I glanced at my dining room table and saw the orchid that was given to me last October and is miraculously still alive (Plants are an endangered species at my house). It was somehow important that this plant didn't meet the typical demise of most and although there have been touch and go moments, it is still there delicate, fragile yet strong. A plush bathrobe hangs in my closet, a book on my bedside table, a note tucked away in a desk. All reminders of my blessings and the thoughtfulness of others.

Some things trigger unhappy memories, but these few reminders I have don't bring back the fear and anxiety of last year; but feelings of love and appreciation of the many hands that served and offered support during a challenging time. One of the greatest blessings my Heavenly Father has given me is a loving family and friends who, without fireworks and fanfare, reach out and give service in simple, quiet ways. I am so grateful that the peace and comfort I felt a year ago was brought to my remembrance today through a simple pair of fuzzy pink socks.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Loved the post! I have felt the same way over the years. I'm so glad you are at your one year mark. Let do lunch again to celebrate!