Friday, March 20, 2009

Farewell to a New House

At one time ours was a new house--
it glittered and it shinned.
I remember telling the kids
"don't touch that" and "be careful" all the time.
The walls were without blemish,
there wasn't a scratch on the wood floors;
The glass actually sparkled
and you could see out windows and doors!

Now flash forward six years later--
as I look at each room and hall;
Just what on earth has happened
to each pristine floor and wall?
Has there been some silent intruder,
some mysterious destructive foe?
That has damaged every surface
and marred the perfection found once ago?

I scratch my head in wonder
and ponder these important questions.
My house has been transformed,
gone through a major regression!
Is that green gum stuck in the carpet?
What's this new substance on the walls?
Some experiment gone wrong--
No science fair this week as I recall.

After finding a window,
through a mass of fingerprints and grime.
I realize the sun is shinning,
what a discovery, what a find!
I always liked the rustic look,
but this floor is pushing the definition;
I am not sure there is a word
to describe it's present condition!

When did all these crimes
befall this innocent dwelling?
Is this evidence of a misdemeanor
or a felony in the making?
Some great battle must going on,
some great war is being fought,
For what else could explain
all this destruction being wrought!

As I ponder this great injustice
that has developed all around me;
I wonder why I didn't buy
an extended warranty!
But as the dust has settled
and the house dims in its glory;
I realize every ding, scratch and fingerprint
tells a great story.

There will be no more mourning,
this house as it once was built.
As I realize the character that's been added,
I feel no guilt.
I forgot that a home is what I wanted,
not a shrine no one can touch;
Come in the front door and see this house,
which has been loved very much!
I got frustrated today as I did find gum in the carpets, and strange marks on the walls and I decided to come write another silly poem about my house. I feel better now and am grateful to have such a wonderful place to live that is as imperfect as I am. By the way, does anyone know a great way to get gum out of carpet? :)

8 comments:

The Hurst Family said...

Have no fear. Super gum getter outer is here. Use Thoro or Goo Be Gone or some similar product. It won't hurt the carpet, but will get out the gum. (This advice is being payed forward from Bonnie Peterson who once helped me get gum out of Janna's hair.) RaeAnn

Anna said...

Your creativity continues to amaze me!! I can no longer form a complete sentence. :-)

Melissa said...

Or perhaps it wasn't your children at all, but a friend's small child who drew on your wall!

I'm still mortified about it!

Brittani said...

I LOVE it! You are a talented writer! In cleaning the house today, I noticed all those damages too- but you've inspired me to see them in a new light. Thank You!

The Stanley's said...

You are so talented. One day I'll buy your book!

Shauna said...

Love your poem!! I'll buy your book too!

Dione said...

You were inspired to write that poem. . . for me! Thank you, it made me feel a little better about how loved my house is and how blessed my life is!

laurel said...

THat is exactly how I feel about my house. Especially since we have had to do so much to it. Of course, I was just frustrated. I can't write a poem like you to save my life.