Monday, October 20, 2008

I want to live in Mayberry

You remember Mayberry. I'd like to live in a place where you just have to worry about the silly antics of Barney Fife and eat Aunt Bee's pies. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning someone broke into our garage and spent some time rifling through my van. As smart and intelligent as yours truly is, I left my purse in my car. Gone is my cell phone, credit cards, debit card, checkbook, drivers license and so on. They didn't take my entire purse, just all the cards and a few miscellaneous items. I'm not sure what the thief is going to do with my pleasant grove library card, my weight watchers membership, and two packs of gum, I told the police that that their suspect pool should include overweight bookworms with minty fresh breath. I have spent my morning talking to the police, visiting my bank, and calling and cancelling everything in my name. I feel naked now, no id, no credit cards, no bank cards or checks....nada. I went to the bank and they wanted proof of id, to open a new account. I was wondering if they actually listened to the reason I wanted a new bank account. I'm thinking probably not. Perhaps the saddest loss is Mark's birthday bike. He told me several times, "mom, why did they have to take a little boy's bike, it was just a little boys." It broke my heart, especially after his generosity with his sister when he won a bike at school. But not once today did I hear from him that he wished he didn't trade in that bike for Cass so he'd still have one to ride, not even once. He just brought me a few dollar bills and a lot of change that he had been saving and asked if it was enough for another one. So after today, I'm ready for a black and white life in a quiet little town where the only criminals is the town drunk who locks himself up in the county jail.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I thought we DID live on Mayberry! It makes me so mad to realize that we don't! My problem is if something is missing from our garage, it would take weeks for me to realize it!

Anna Marks said...

I suspect Kelly. Credit cards, bank cards, checks, and a cell phone. It definitely sounds like an accountant husband would be the primary suspect.

But really, I am so sorry, what a pain!! Will you have to re-take the drivers test? I would never be able to pass that again

laurel said...

That is so sad. My heart is broken for Mark. We have been robbed too. My drivers license (new one) shows me sobbing in my picture. THe lady who wouldn't let me get a new license cause I didn't have 2 forms of ID drove me to tears. I finally told her maybe the crook who used my ID would have a better photo cause they would have treated them nicely. HAng in there. It is a tough thing to get over.

The Andersons: said...

Wow! I leave my purse in the car as well...I guess I won't now! Where do you even start? You can't get and ID without multipule forms of ID...oh, and the lines you are going to have to stand in! I'm so sorry! Do you need chocolate? That I can do!

Lucy said...

So sorry Val. What a little sweetheart Markie is. I want to go buy him a new bike right now. Poor kid!!! Good luck with everything we wish you didn't have to go through it though!

The Johnsons said...

Oh dear! I would have just sat there and cried. You never think that kind of stuff would happen to you. I am so sorry!! What a pain and more anxiety to worry about until it all gets solved and worked out. I don't know what to say to comfort you other then sorry.

Dione said...

On McKenna's 14th birthday we celebrated by going to the Conference Center for the YW General Broadcast. We parked up by the Capitol and when we returned the window had been smashed and the diaper bag was missing. They got away with some diapers, fruit snacks and a Children's Songbook, which they obviously needed more than me.

I'm sorry about your loss - loss of identity, property and sense of security.

The Stanley's said...

Did they actually break into your garage? That is so scary. I am just glad you and your family are safe. I know that when things like this happen it is very disturbing and a little piece of your trust in mankind goes away. That is the saddest loss of all.

By the way the blue flu had a widespread contamination area!!!

Paul has tried to call Kelly a couple of times.

The Brown Family said...

Val, I can't let Lee read this...I leave EVERYTHING in the car, including the KEYS most of the time. Lee chastises me on leaving the keys in the car with the garage door open.

I must subliminally believe that I am living in Mayberry- because I know that it is for real just a little more west from us out in Cedar Fort!

I am sick about Mark's new bike! Grace's was taken earlier this year, but it was a hand-me-down and she just jumped on the next bigger size waiting in the garage. Your sweet Mark doesn't deserve this!

Love
Kim

Anderson Clan said...

Val, I'm so sorry! What a jerky thief! You need to tell Mark to set up his security system in your garage. I, like everyone else, also always leave my purse in my car--although maybe we shouldn't be admitting that. We are giving some nut his next "hit" list. :)

I do think Anna's on to something though... :) Love ya Val. If I can stand in line as proxy, let me know.