Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Kids Time Zone

There are lots of time zones, Mountain, Pacific, Central, Eastern and so on. The new one I have noticed is the Kid Time Zone. It is hard to set a clock to that one. It's dependant on the activity and entertainment factor. Apparently I, as a parent, am not qualified to tell time in this zone, and therefore should turn to my children for help. If piano practicing is happening or timed daily reading for school, 30 minutes, really looks like 10! If it's watching TV, playing video games, outdoors with friends, 30 minutes really looks like hours!

I am so tired of my children trying to convince me that the clock I've been watching to time their practicing, reading and so on is wrong. But the one they have their eyeballs on is correct and time's up. Mine must be running out of batteries or something, and maybe there was a power outage with the one plugged into the wall. Yeah, that's it. On the other extreme, I tell them only 30 minutes until I want them home for dinner, and an hour later I'm trying to track them down all the while I'm hearing complaints that it's only been a few minutes. So either I am in some Star Trek space time continuum loop, or my children do indeed live in their own Time Zone. Too bad for them that the Parental Time Zone is enforced over here.

No comments: