Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What to blame?


Who or what can I lay blame to for losing my mind? I am not sure if it is because I have teenagers and they destroy brain cells, if it's old age, lack of sleep or it's just built into my genetic code but one thing is for sure, my mind is abandoning me at an every increasing pace. Here are just a few things I've been noticing:

I put the milk in the pantry and the cereal in the fridge (I only used to do this when I was pregnant, and no this isn't an announcement)

I drive on auto pilot and if I'm not concentrating on my destination, I will either end up in a school or Walmart parking lot. Not great if you are late for a doctor's appointment in Provo.

I have a purpose to go into a a certain room in my house and yet when I get there I have no idea why I am there to begin with.

One time I locked myself out of the house and had to call one of my children for the garage code.

And today, the newest item I can add to my list is that I shipped a package to myself. It was supposed to go to my sister in Las Vegas and instead I put her address as the return one and sent it to me. It arrived today! The sad part in this whole story is that I didn't realize it was the same package I had mailed until I opened it to see the contents!

If anyone has a solution to my situation, I am open to it. All of you are so on top of everything you should be able to give me lots of advice. Unfortunately I might forget it once you say it especially if I'm sitting in a Walmart parking lot.

13 comments:

Ryan Christensen said...

If doing stuff like that is a sign of aging, I only have a few more days to live! Haha Here is your answer mom, its called BEING HUMAN, and being under Stress doesn't help, hence why you did that stuff when you were pregnant :-)

Amberly said...

dear valorie, there is only one solution to this problem. you must spend more time with me! good thing i am coming over tomorrow!
well, ok so i'll admit that being with me probably won't help you find your sanity. i'm pretty crazy myself as you are well aware. but that is ok because it means we are normal! (now that didn't make any sense!)
oh well, i will see you tomorrow!

Dione said...

Just the fact that you can remember all those forgetful moments means that you are doing better than I am. Thanks for your post. It made my day!

Anna said...

I have yet to ship something to myself, but have experienced all of the other situations you mentioned!! I sure got a kick out of it and now I feel more normal somehow. Thanks for brightening my day.

The Andersons: said...

Thanks for the good laugh, Val!!

The Brown Family said...

I'm going with Ryan's reasoning on this one! You've just described my everyday and I didn't realize that it was a problem!

I just read Kathie's comment on fb that her family is sick again! Let me know if you still want to go out together. I would love to visit with you. Just whatever would work best for you.

Kim

The Stanley's said...

You know I did that to a letter to Jonathon recently. It's okay. How many times a day to I climb the 30 stairs up to my bedroom and then stand there staring. Asking myself what in the world I was there for. Sometimes I literally have to go back to my starting point to remember and then make the climb again....it's kind of scaring me...h ah ahah

The Johnsons said...

Ha ha. I am still laughing about that one. I told mom and she died too!!! I think we all have our crazy moments. But at least we all got a good laugh!! :)

The Daniel Family said...

To funny Val!! I am also forever forgetting things although I have yet to mail a package to myself=)

Shauna said...

This made me smile! I have those losing my mind moments too!

laurel said...

I do THE EXACT same thing. I have been doing it for years. It is not about aging, it is that we have TOO MUCH on our minds. We do. You have tons and the stuff just gets jumbled into mush!

The Stanley's said...

Val,
I am sending you a big hug. I have been thinking about you and know that you are preparing for your surgery tomorrow. Our prayers are with you. You are going to be just fine and I am so thankful that they've caught this early. Before you know it you'll be all better. I love you. Be brave.
Anita

The Classy Kitchen said...

Val, you are seriously hilarious!!! I haven't gotten such a good chuckle in a long time! I'm just barely catching up on your log. Warren loved the package one!