Monday, August 31, 2009

Chaotic Blessings....


Yesterday was a wild day here in the Christensen household. I don't know what got into everyone but something happened overnight to insight craziness from the moment morning arrived(except me of course--someone had to be sane around here!). Yesterday morning we attended our old West Jordan ward to hear the daughter of wonderful friends of ours speak as she is getting ready to go on a mission. Early that morning I heard all sorts of commotion downstairs and went to investigate ready to send the rioters to their room. When I turned the corner, I saw my 41 year old husband causing all the ruckus. Apparently the kids weren't moving as quickly as Kelly would like so he found Mark's huge water gun and decided some surprise attacks might be good motivation. This led to the running, screaming, laughing and wet scene I found myself in first thing in the morning. (Have I mentioned I'm not a morning person?)

Well later that day Mark's new Nerf ball gun (whose idea was it to give him guns for his birthday?) was in use and lots more dodging, hiding, and screaming with Kelly front and center with a guilty smile and a shrug. (I am beginning to think his calling with the 14 -15 year old teenage boys is rubbing off on him). Soon rubber band wars ensued followed by more water guns. I kept trying to tell everyone that Sunday was called a day of rest for a reason. No where in the scriptures does it talk about weapons of play being used on a Sunday! I'm sure Heavenly Father didn't have such shenanigans going on during the seventh day! :)

As the evening ended, and things quieted down I realized that although the day was totally chaotic, I needed to be grateful for noise...all too soon it will be quiet around here. What a lonely life I would lead without my fun loving husband and my children. So although I would appreciate some peaceful times on Sunday with the family, I will have to learn that it's ok for a few moments every once in awhile to forget about being a mom, and become like a little child....armed with a squirt gun.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Dad's are really good at acting young aren't they? John is most times my biggest trouble maker.....I think he does it so he can be sent to his room for a time out!

Dione said...

I love it! You have a great family! So, who is going on a mission? Anyone I know?

Anna said...

I don't want Seth to read this post, he will be out buying a water gun, but it will be used on ME!!

Kelly is a great dad, those kids will talk about it for the rest of their lives.

The Johnsons said...

That is so fun!!! I love family times like that!! I can just picture it!

laurel said...

What a great day. Jay had to work on Sunday so it left me alone. I think the bit of yelling I did should have been replaced by a bit of water gun.