Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A calgon moment needed......


Monday marked the return of somewhat of a schedule around here. The last two months have been full of lazy mornings, camps, vacations, trek's and so on. Little things have slid deeply by the wayside. So I decided that Monday (yesterday) we would return to some sort of routine. Now I know all really good mom's out there have continued to have their children, read, practice, clean and so on all summer, and did so with smiles and happy voices, but sadly, I am not one of those.

Seeing the reaction of my children the past two days, you'd think they'd all been confined to prison without the possibility of parole! Life apparently has become unbearable! It's been no picnic for me either. I have tried my best to put a smile on my face and lead by example, unfortunately about an hour or so into the morning, that attitude has gone out the window and I really am starting to resemble a prison warden! I suggested to one of my teenagers as they complained when I turned off the tv, to go read a book and he looked at me as if I was speaking another language. You know a book I said, the rectangular things with great pictures on the front that are full of words you can string together to create an entertaining story? The definition didn't go over so well as was demonstrated by the roll of the eyes.

With the younger two, you'd think that practicing the piano was some sort of medieval form of torture. I was thinking it was time for a new blog entry, so I was going to take some fun pictures of my kids doing things together around the house, call it simple joys or something profound. I went to grab my camera to show Cassie sitting with her little brother on the piano helping him practice....when I returned there was an elbow war going on fighting for space on the bench....upset faces and raised voices and no practicing. Not quite the Kodak moment I was searching for. I should have taken the picture anyway.

Later when the same two children were cleaning their separate rooms, and changing their sheets I heard one of them say....let's wrap up all the stuff on the floor in the sheet and take it down to the basement. I was grateful to overhear this clever little plan, because my basement has become somewhat of a black hole. The kids know that what goes down rarely is found. It was a brilliant plan, one crafted out of the reality that I knew all the clever hiding places in their rooms. It wouldn't surprise me one day to drive by my house and see all sorts of bedroom clutter on the roof...because maybe I wouldn't look there before playtime. :)

So now it's noon, and I'm ready for a long bubble bath, a book and a sound proof room. I, unlike my kids, recognize that to read and escape reality once in awhile is a healthy thing. Especially after all the jobs are done.





5 comments:

Dione said...

Oh, how I wish you'd taken those pictures! It would do my heart good! I did video tape my daughter throwing a good old tantrum because she had to sleep in the boys room because we had company coming that night. (This was the company that got stuck in Cortez - guess the tantrum was for nothing. Except for a funny video I'm sure I'll treasure forever!)

The Stanley's said...

Isn't it funny that our children probably don't even get the "calgon" meaning! :)
I enjoyed catching up on your last three posts. Congrats about RS and sorry about YW! You'll be awesome. (I wish I could serve with you! I think you are amazing!)

Anna said...

I needed a good laugh! I have no idea how my kids are going to do in the rental house in Tucsonwithout TV for a month! So now I have a glimpse. I love your blog

Amberly said...

i just love you! way to try and get back into a routine. i don't try. :P thanks for chatting with me on monday!

Plumptom said...

We have been out of town for a week. The lake pictures were taken in a different state. But we don't want our families to know....thus the sshhhh about it. So it is so good to catch up!!!Kids are funny. After weeks of play, I can't get my kids to unpack their own stuff. Can you share your calgon.