Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Christmas Poem


A Mom's Cold Medicine Induced Christmas Poem

Tis the Christmas season, or so I am told;
I've been sick in bed with a terrible winter cold.

My voice has failed me, and my nose contiunes to run;
I'm supposed to spread cheer not germs on everyone.

I have noticed lately that my mood has started to slip;
It seems to conincide with my persistant post-nasal drip.

The lights on the banister have stopped their happy twinkling;
And I'm exasperated at the thought of doing more tinkering.

The healthy eating intentions are of course out the door;
And I'm simply waiting for the knock of someone bringing me more.

Forget the tidy house, and the carpets that need cleaning;
If you want to see something neat, just look up at the ceiling.

I need to stop the worrying and all the little details;
For what truly is important isn't what retails.

Make time for fun memories that will last throughout the years;
For that's what will be remembered and not the undone fears.

So tonight I'm looking past the choas of the day;
and turning on some Christmas tunes and singing the night away.

Hopefully soon, the noise and fast paced grind;
Will dwindle away and fade from my mind.

Because when all is said and done, I want my children to know;
That what matters the most isn't found under a bow.

The only way that will happen is for me to slow the pace;
to take a moment and put a smile on my face.

For when mom is happy it's contagious down the line;
and pretty soon everyone's stresses all seem just fine.

I love this very season, for the purpose that it gives.
Not one found in stores, but in knowing He who lives.

4 comments:

The Andersons: said...

Thanks Val! I love it. I hope that you are feeling better.

laurel said...

How wonderful! You are talented. I hape you get better soon!

Melissa said...

Holy Cow! If that is what you write when you are on meds, I can't imagine what you can write when you are healthy! My favorite part is about "healthy eating out the door" and waiting to get some more! (And of course what the true meaning of this crazy time is!)

The Stanley's said...

Get well soon! (Enjoy the rest though it is very rare and is usually disguised as an illness :)