Saturday, December 27, 2008

Reflections

As the year 2008 grows to a close;
we are getting ready to pack away the trees and the bows.
I find myself reflecting on days gone by;
these last three hundred-sixty have passed on the fly.
As memories surface, I wanted to compose;
a note about the happenings right under my nose.
To take a brief moment before I forget,
to write of shared times, joys and sweat.
I remember all the birthdays, the fun;
The Easter egg relay on the run.
The family vacation saved for and planned,
for moments on the beach and at Disneyland.


I see a time of a thoughtful son,
giving a bike to his sister he'd just won.
Taking time to select and make the right choice;
"I want the pink one!", he said in a sweet voice.


I remember the prayers of this same boy,
whose bike was later stolen and his hopes destroyed.
He had faith that surpassed his parents concerns,
and sure enough, the bike was returned.
I think of my boys and the sports they played;
of wind, rain and sleet when we freezingly stayed.


I watched them always strive for the best;
even on hard days of practice when they didn't get a rest.


I think of the times with family and friends;
of silly laughter and memories that transcend.
The faces of cousins and friends new and old;
flash through my mind with the stories they told.


I remember two boys and the hours of hard work,
for an Eagle Award and responsibilities they didn't shirk.
I reflect at every accomplishment that came along,
even though at times might be preceded with a wrong.
I enjoyed every concert, recital and game;
each and every little award and acclaim.
My family is my joy and my life;
even though some days are filled with strife.
The amazing thing about moments of reflection;
Are the many things you remember with affection.
Fading away are the hard feelings and trials,
they aren't as strongly remembered as the smiles!

Shining strong in my mind is my family and joys,
that always drown out the negative noise.
I love the end of the year for it's time to remember;
all the triumphs that preceded the month of December.

8 comments:

Anderson Clan said...

Thanks for making me cry Val. Gotta love being emotional. :)

The Andersons: said...

Tears in my eyes as well! Thanks for another great poem! I loved the California pictures, I'd never seen them! Bring on 2009~

The Brown Family said...

You are so creative! I love that poem and all the great pictures (especially the darling girls in dress-ups).

Santa brought a big dog to Pearl and she can't wait to show Cassidy :)

Kim

Melissa said...

Okay, your poetry is killing me. That was one of the very best posts I have ever read. You summed up your year so beautifully. Maybe you could make my year sound that good????

Dione said...

What a wonderful family you have. I really enjoyed reading this post!

The Stanley's said...

Val, that was beautiful!

laurel said...

What awesome memories! What a terrific family. A great example to us all...as you have always been. Glad you had a great Christmas. And I am so jealous of your poem. What a talent.

Anna Marks said...

Val, you are so talented! I absolutely loved it.