Wednesday, December 17, 2008

SURPRISE!


Monday we had a surprise birthday party for Ryan. We did it at Noah's here in Lindon, and had a great turnout. I was so grateful to a few of Ry's friends, to whom I entrusted with the task of getting invitations out to everyone. I was very nervous trying to be the mastermind behind a teenage party. Once they outgrow pin the tail on the donkey, I'm a little out of my league. I learned quickly that if you have lots of food and a fun atmosphere, they do the rest themselves. It was cute in the beginning, they separated with boys in one area and girls in the next. It's like, "No, it's ok to mingle" after earlier years of worrying when they did so. They put up with Kelly snapping pictures and me shoving food at them. We took our jobs as chaperones seriously.

I am so proud of this 16 year old boy of mine. The biggest thing I worry about with him is trying to teach him not to procrastinate his homework. (How he continues to pull A's amazes me) He has such a strong spirit about him, that just searches for things that are good. He has never given me any reason not to trust him, and he will actually talk to me. What more can a parent ask for. I love you Ry. I hope you had a wonderful birthday.








7 comments:

Anna Marks said...

Happy Birthday Ryan!! How fun! To think I remember playing light savers in the basement with you when you were 4 or 5!! Time surely does fly by.

The Johnsons said...

oh it looks so fun!!! I remember when you planned my surprise 18th birthday party and did great. It was a hard day and in the end everything worked out perfect. What a great mom and sister you are.

The Brown Family said...

We should have hooked up- Hillary's 15th b-day was Monday (her golden b-day...she turned 15 on the 15th!). Maddie planned her surprise party for last Saturday...we went to Jump on It.

Now, I just need to catch up on my blog so I can show off our surprise party pics. I am behind from THANKSGIVING!

Kim

Dione said...

Ryan is a good kid! I don't know if John was his teacher or just subbed a lot but he would come home telling me funny stories about him in Primary. Like the time he wrapped his legs around the chair and couldn't get them out in time to break his fall. Fell right on his face! Happy Birthday Ryan (I have a 16 year old too ;)

laurel said...

Happy Birthday Ryan!! Loos like a wonderful time.

Shauna said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I will have to remember about Noah's because I will have a 16 year old in a couple years! Yikes! I think there is one in Draper now.

The Stanley's said...

Happy 16th Ryan. You're mom and dad are pretty awesome to throw such a fun party. Katherine had a cupcake at girls camp for hers....