Thursday, July 8, 2010

which way do we go....


It took 45 minutes, lots of U turns, running in and out of buildings, following signs that changed directions and finally we reached our destination! (Which ended up being less than a half mile from our house!)

Tonight we wanted to go to an open house for some incredible neighbors who are currently serving as temple president and matron at a small temple in southern Brazil. We love this couple so much and were looking forward to seeing them. They left seven months ago and are home for a couple weeks while their temple is closed.

In my middle aged mind, I assumed I knew the location of the church. (note to self: after age 40 never trust the mind). The building we arrived at was closed for some maintenence and we didn't see any note telling of a change of location. We decided to try other buildings in the nearby area, sending Ry in at each one to see if we had reached the right place. Three buildings later we weren't any closer to our destination. As we were driving down a road, we spotted a sign with balloons. We meticulously followed the arrow, only to find it didn't lead to the right place. (I am starting to see a really good object lesson coming out of this experience)

Not willing to give up easily, we turned around and found the sign again. This time the arrow was pointed in a different direction. We changed course yet again until we found another sign. We were wise to the tricky signs now and decided to follow our intuition. Tada! Around the next corner we met with success! It was like a treasure hunt and our friends were definitely a wonderful treasure at the end of our long silly trip. We found it interesting that the church building was less than a half mile from our house, it was just in a neighboring stake so we didn't think of it at the beginning.

Seeing them again brought tears to my eyes. They are like second parents to Kelly and I, and it was such a joy to see them and listen to their experiences. I am amazed and humbled at the sacrifices of the people there. All the distance they travel just to attend a temple. I live less than two miles from one, and don't make it there as often as I should. I felt such peace and love for the Knightons, their service and example. If I ever get lost again, I hope it is their faces I see at the end of the journey!

2 comments:

laurel said...

Remind me not to ride with you if you aren't 100 percent sure of where you are going. Hee hee he

Love it! It will be a great object lesson.

Peggy Knighton said...

Oh, Valerie! What a sweet note you have written! We love you and your dear family so much! You truly are an example to us. We appreciate, beyond words, all that you do to take care of our yard. I am just sorry it has taken me this long to get to your fun blog! Life here continues to be on the fast pace. That is to say, we don't spend much time at home. There always seems to be more than we can do in the short time we have each day. But in the end, we love doing what we are doing. We remind ourselves each day that it is the Lord who called us, and He is the one that can help us the most. So we press forward with faith and love and gratitude!