Monday, June 14, 2010

a loss for words....

I know that the title of this post seems strange for me, perhaps you had to read it twice. Valorie, at a loss for words? Something has to be off with the universe. I love to write, I love the power of language. It is fun, exciting, silly and inspiring to read others words and to express life through them. Sometimes though, I am at quite a loss. This is one of those times.

What do you tell a family when a young husband gets a diagnosis no one was expecting? What can you say after a long, valiant, difficult fight where options are running thin? Where are the words that don't seem trite, redundant or obvious? I haven't found any and it is so frustrating.

We know a family that at one time lived near us. We have long since gone our separate ways, but over the last year have heard about their fight against a determined and territorial cancer. I have followed their story on facebook through tests, surgeries, treatments and complications. I have sent notes of encouragement, prayed and thought about them so much. Now as I hear that they are reaching the end of their options I am at a loss at what to say. No words can fix things, no words can express how sorrowful I feel or describe how much their faith and strength has helped me over this past year. You would think with all the languages out there, all the millions and millions of syllables, something would come to mind to convey all that I'm thinking and feeling.

To the Mason family, we love you. We will continue to pray for your miracle and for all you need to help you through the day to day challenges. Please forgive these simple words that seem so lacking and inadequate. My heart is full even though my voice is weak.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I feel like I am the worst at that. I never know when somebody just needs to be left alone or if they need kinds words, or if they just need a hug. It's always a difficult situation. I've decided that praying for them and putting their names on the temple rolls is sometimes the only things you can do.

Dione said...

I know how you feel. I usually read their status updates and never reply because I don't know what to say. But I think I'll regret it if I never say anything.

laurel said...

I have just been sick about their last few posts. I commented on the last one. I don't know if it was the right thing to say or not, but I had to let them know that I was proud of Darryl for working so hard for his family. If he was alone, the fight would have ended long ago, but for his family he suffered. I am sick to hear and read what I know is coming.