Tuesday, June 8, 2010

admire my carpets, just don't walk on them


In my never ending quest to save money (or at least attempt to) I rented a carpet cleaner yesterday and decided to tackle my carpets. They have desperately needed cleaning for some time, but I have postponed hiring someone because each month the budget was not carpet friendly.

As it was becoming difficult to remember the actual color of my floor coverings, I decided yesterday it was time to take matters into my own hands. I went to the store and paid the very reasonable rental rate, and then saw the cleaning product prices! They lull you in and wham! "Oh, you wanted something to go in the machine, that costs extra!" I maneuvered the awkward machine into my car and then into the house mumbling something about the possible rewards of the savings. A new pair of shoes maybe........Twelve hours later I finished.

Today the carpets look better, and I am exhausted. I had to return for two more bottles of spot cleaner because I had more spots than 101 Dalmatians and it doesn't come in a giant "kids live here" size. I only had one mishap which was good for me. I went to empty the canister of the grimy water when I stepped from the damp carpet onto the hardwood floor. Next thing I know I'm on my backside with gritty, grimy water splashed all over me. Note to self. Reconsider when putting wet feet on a smooth surface.

I woke up this morning sore in every muscle of my body. I was wondering why my bum was sore till I remembered the moment it very ungracefully met the kitchen floor. Today I have turned into mom, protector of the clean carpets. I am sitting on the couch in the main traffic ways "encouraging" my children to take off their shoes when they come in the house. Of course, since it's summer I can't convince them to wear shoes, so I cringe whenever little feet enter the house. I have started foot inspections! I kid you not. I am determined that all my hard work lasts at least one day! I reminded Mark to stay off the carpets and he said, "am I supposed to fly?" I think I am a bit obsessed. Maybe there are pluses to dirty carpets. But I saved money right? Although my feet are too tired for the shoes I can now afford. :)

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Good work! My carpets are so gross, I want to tear them all out. Carpet cleaning doesn't seem to make any difference.

laurel said...

That is so funny. Okay, the falling part was NOT at all, but everything else you made seem so funny. I am sure it wasn't funny to you, but your whit made me smile. Here is to keeping your carpets clean. ;) Maybe you should send your kids on a summer long camp. he hee he

Becky said...

You are a amazing!! I just stare at my dirty carpet wishing it was clean. Some day it will hopefully get cleaned. It's good to hear I'm not the only one that seems to be getting clumsier by the day. I seem to always have some kind of bruise or cut from something dumb I have done. Hope your feeling better!!

The Classy Kitchen said...

Val you seriously crack me up!!!

Peggy Knighton said...

These funny kids don't miss a beat! I think your cute kids inherited your wit. Really, I love reading your posts.