Sunday, June 20, 2010

happy father's day....

Kelly, this is my first poem to you,
and it seemed appropriate on father's day -
Surprisingly, it’s difficult
to find the words I want to convey.
Which is really quite amazing,
as I am never at a loss of those;
so please be patient as I search
for something worthy to compose.

How do you describe a father
that is so compassionate and true;
who never let a new baby out of his sight
for even a moment or two.
How about a dad when left in charge
of the toddlers for awhile;
instead of TV, would make a giant fort,
just to see them smile.
A father who worked long hours
at church and work to be precise;
then turn around and find time to play catch
and to give homework advice.
You are the father, who'd protect little Cassie
as she'd crawl up on your lap;
and snuggle in with a smile
just to avoid going upstairs for a nap.
All the times over the years,
when I thought an earthquake had come about;
it was just water fights and wrestling
that would shake throughout the house.
And who would be leading
the noisy boisterous brigade?
Surely not my husband
in his wisdom and and grown up age?
But there you would be around the corner
with a shrug and a silly smirk;
Armed with a water gun,
just waiting to go berserk.
How do you describe a man
that does dishes, housework and laundry,
whenever I was absent, sick
or just in a quandary.
You taught the kids that hard work
is always good to do;
And not just at times
when someone was feeling blue.
You took time to teach them
how to build in your wood shop;
And only cringed a moment
when something happened to drop!
There were times when your patience
was pushed to it’s very limit;
perhaps from your children,
or a stubborn wife could do it.
Your never raised your voice,
usually only an eyebrow;
Then you’d bring peace and quiet to the scene,
no temper did you allow.
You worked hard to help your boys
become strong Eagle Scouts
And could always be the only one
to tease Cassie out of a pout.
I treasure the moments
you gave blessings to one and all;
and were always worthy,
no matter what time of day you’d get a call.
Kelly I hope you know, you mean more to me
than simple words can say.
You are an incredible husband and father
and I love you in every way.
Thank you for standing by my side
through every strife;
And making a family with our children
that will last long past this life.
Happy Father’s Day.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I'm crying. That was beautiful Val. What a wonderful tribute to Kelly.

The Stanley's said...

Terrific tribute to one of the best! Good job Val. You are so sweet.

The Classy Kitchen said...

I just barely read this blog post. What a sweet fathers day gift to Kelly.