Wednesday, February 17, 2010

a riddle

What has....
an abundance of multi-sized brightly colored polka dots

more streamers than a pep rally on steroids

lots of chocolate, strawberries and whip cream (the three most important food groups)

more firelight than a forest fire and requires hyperventilating to put it out

a wonderful husband enlisting enterprising sisters, and parents in subterfuge

very thoughtful, and tasteful gifts (not one black, fiber filled, arthritic relief thing in the bunch!)

a houseful of family all saying "happy birthday!"

drum roll please......

Valorie's Surprise 40'th Birthday Party!! ( a day early!)


It's my first official surprise party. I thought I could read my husband so well that he couldn't pull something over on me without my suspecting. I have to hand it to him, I didn't have a clue. It might be due to my "vibe meter" getting older and not working as well as it did 20 years ago. It might just be Kelly is getting smarter and more subtle in his advanced age, but whatever it was, Monday night was full of fun and surprise!

He coordinated it well, he knew I would hate some big production so I appreciated just having my family in attendance. He also knew once he got my crazy sisters involved it would take on a life of it's own!! I appreciated that nothing was black and dreary, everything was bright and cheery and it made me smile. I received fun gifts but my favorites were a book written by my family full of sweet, thoughtful and silly things that made me laugh and cry.


And from my husband, a new shiny black professional kitchen-aid mixer! I can make sweet things in greater quantity...is there a better gift than one that keeps on giving? He knows with my sweet tooth, I'd much prefer something that I can use daily instead of something sparkly! I love this man! He also could have got me a gym membership to go with the new mixer, but he didn't, am I spoiled or what?

A big thanks to everyone who took time near and far, to make this terrible number "40" not quite so terrible! Love you all.

7 comments:

The Stanley's said...

Yeah for Kelly! You deserve a celebration. Happy 40--it was a very good year--a while back. ;)

The Johnsons said...

I am so sad I missed it!!! But am so glad you had fun!! Anytime you get the sisters together we ALWAYS have fun. :)

laurel said...

Fun! Seriously, what a great hubby! That looks so fun. 40 is great, you just can't move like you use to. Trust me. I will be 42 this summer. You are a young one!

Kristen said...

Looks like you had a fun Birthday. From Shelly's blog sounds like your sisters had lots of fun getting eveything ready. Happy Birthday!

The Andersons: said...

Sorry we missed it!! Happy 40th!

The Brown Family said...

So fun! And you scored on great gifts :)

Lee says that 40 is great. I wouldn't know...yet :)

Love
Kim

The Classy Kitchen said...

Happy Birthday Val! You don't look a day older then you did BEFORE you turned 40!!! You are a fabulous older sister and I love you to pieces!