Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Good News for the Future

Way too many posts lately have been about me! Enough of that! Ryan went to the Sadie Hawkins Dance last Saturday. They had a great group and had a lot of fun. When he got home that night, he told me about all that they had done and one story, in particular, touched me and I wanted to take the time to record it. So many times, we hear about negative events happening around us. We constantly worry about what the future will bring for our families and if our children will be strong enough to deal with what will surround them.

Saturday night the American Fork Marching Band was heading home by bus from an Idaho competition. As I'm sure many of you have heard, one of the buses flipped and there was a fatality and some injuries. News of the accident spread throughout the Pleasant Grove High School dance on Saturday. When Ryan's group heard, they all gathered together and went outside to find a quiet spot to pray for those who were involved in the accident. Little did Ryan know that his cousin was on that bus which flipped, and was fortunate to end up with just bumps and bruises. I was so impressed with Ryan's group and with one of the young women in his group that made the suggestion. I am grateful to know my son has such incredible friends and examples around him and that when something frightening happens, their first instinct is to turn to prayer. I know there might be uncertain times ahead, and sometimes the only stories which get published are about all the evil and negative things in the world. I wanted to take a minute to write about something positive which will never make the news, but which gives me hope that in unsettling times, the young women and men of today are not only prepared to weather the storms but to triumph over them.

7 comments:

laurel said...

HOw wonderful! It is so good to know that their are strong, wonderful youth out there. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.

The Stanley's said...

Thanks!

The Brown Family said...

I loved that. I feel the same way...so grateful that my girls have wonderful friends.

Kim

Dione said...

When I heard about how the kids on one of the AF band buses prayed after the accident, I was so impressed. So to hear your story - I am so proud. Thank you.

Tim said...

Isn't that just something that Ryan would do. He is a great young man and will go very far in his life and will have great balance in all that he does.

Uncle Tim

Shauna said...

What a great story!

Bethany said...

Hi, I'm just visiting over from Dione's blog, but I wanted to say thanks for sharing this.
I think it's wonderful that the kids first instinct was to turn to God. Truth be told He is the only certainty in uncertain times.
I hope my children will grow up to understand this the way Ryan and his friends do.