Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Remembering Marilyn


Marilyn Christensen is Kelly's mom. She passed away 8 years ago yesterday. I haven't mentioned much about her on my blog, and wanted to take some time today to remember her. She was an amazing woman. When I first met her, she intimidated me a little because of all her accomplishments and her no nonsense attitude. But I quickly got over that, and as soon as she smiled and laughed you knew she was something very special. To this day I can still hear her laughter in my head, she had a great sense of humor and I loved to hear her tell stories. Once she she considered you a friend you were a friend to her for life. She was the most loyal person I ever knew. She sang in a group with four of her friends, and did so for decades. She was involved in Relief Society for many years and knew how to entertain and throw a party. I will always remember her favorite holidays were the 4th of July and Christmas and we still celebrate those with Kelly's side of the family every year together. She was an incredible baker. I can't make her orange rolls, but have managed to make a couple of her favorite treats that Kelly loves.

When Kelly and I were first married, we defined the role of poor college students. I remember our first Christmas, she came by, picked me up and took me shopping for Christmas decorations. To this day we still have so many boxes of unopened lights from that first Christmas long ago. (I think she at least bought us 20 strands!) When she did something, she went all out! She loved to collect a lot of things and one of them was nutcrackers. She had over a hundred in her collection and if you come to our house at Christmas time, you will see a part of her collection on our mantle. It is a way we remember her during her favorite season of the year.

Marilyn was very organized. I was always amazed how despite having seven children, doing the books for the family business and serving in her church callings she could stay sane, but she did. She never forgot a birthday or anniversary. She came to every family event and special occasion. I think that is where Kelly got all his organizational talents from, and wishes more rubbed off on me.

She had a strong testimony of the gospel. I will always remember that a few weeks before she died, and she was bedridden from the cancer, she had the bishop and stake president come over to renew her temple recommend which was expiring soon. She knew she would never be able to go to the temple before she left this earth, but she wanted to have a current recommend. That was such a great representation of her spiritual strength.

Mark never was able to meet his grandma Christensen in this life, but I know that his spirit knew her. She loved the Timpanogas temple and when Cassie was little she used to call it Grandma's temple and the Templenogas temple.

Kelly, loves his mom, and has such a special part of his heart with her. It still breaks my heart when I see him get a tear in his eye remembering his mom and missing having her here on earth with him. I am so grateful for the gospel for the knowledge that we know that we will see her again, we will hear her laughter, see her service, and feel of her love one day in the future.
Cassie who was about three at the time of her grandma's death said the day of the funeral, why is everyone crying...We will see Grandma again.

7 comments:

Amberly said...

well i feel like a schmuck! how long was i at your house yesterday?! well, i sure love you and i loved our conversation.

The Brown Family said...

That's a beautiful tribute, Val. It's awesome that we have such great people in our lives and our hearts.

Kim

Krista said...

Thank you Val for all of your kind words about Grandma. She was wonderful. We are all so blessed for having had her in our lives.

laurel said...

What a woman! It sounds like she lived a great life. You all are a living tribute to her everyday.

Tim said...

That is a sweet tribute to mom. It hard to believe that it has been 8 years, it seems so long ago, yet so recent. I am sure that there is not a day goes by that one of her children, grand-children and great grand-children don't have some rememberance of her. I know that I do think of her often as does dad.

When people hear us talk about mom the way you did, it is hard for them to believe that mom or any one was really as great as we express mom as being. They think we are just putting her on a pedistal and it is something that only we are feeling or saying. That happens in many families. Well what you said is true about mom and even more. She IS a great daughter of God and has reached her reward for the way she lived in this life.

I am amazed and blessed to have had such a wonderful life with mom. She leaves a huge hole in many of our lives. I at times wish she could know my grand-children. (Daniel was the only one around for us when she was still here.) Then I have to stop and remember that she has already been with them and knows them maybe even better than we do. I am sure she taught them and influenced them in that world and I know that she watches over each of us and expresses her influence on us when we need it.

I can happily say that our whole family loves her so much.

Mom we all love and miss you.

Tim

Unknown said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog and for your kind words!! I have been reading through your blog and I have enjoyed getting to know you better. You have a way with words as well. What a wonderful example you are to so many around you. I am excited to add you to my family fave blog sites.

Ann

Dione said...

John also lost his mother to cancer - it will be 11 years ago this October. She was a wonderful woman - I miss her like she was my own. She sounds like a great woman! I'm impressed that she had her recommend renewed! That's dedication.