Wednesday, June 8, 2011

i ate my willpower....

That is the sign that hangs above my kitchen sink, "I ate my willpower". It causes a few chuckles and smiles when people come over, but it really is true! I am always trying to drop a few pounds (ok, I need to drop a lot more than a few, but baby steps people) but it is constantly an ongoing battle to have the self discipline to make any real dent in my waistline.

Yesterday when I was eating a couple cookies after dinner and Mark said, " mom, how come your always on on a diet for breakfast, but after dinner you're not?" I had to smile and think to myself, after all these years, my nine year old just figured out my problem!
I need some siren hooked to my pantry that goes off when I pick up the chocolate, "step away from the pantry and put down that chocolate bar nice and easy..."

One time years ago I made lemon bars, and discovered that I was the only one in my young family who liked them. I joked with Josh who was five at the time, "go hide these somewhere where I won't find them." He took me seriously and for the next few weeks I kept trying to get him to tell me where he hid them, but his lips were sealed. Finally I found what I think was originally lemon bars decomposing under my bed. To tell you the truth, I don't eat them much anymore. Maybe I need to enlist him to make chocolate and cookies unappetizing.

Josh is going on a major backpacking trip next week with his scout troop. I have been buying lightweight freeze dried food for him to take and it isn't amounting to much. I was talking with a friend tonight whose son is also going and we said that our boys will come back ten pounds lighter. Then both of us remarked that we should go too. (She totally does not need the backpacking diet, but I do!) I can just see me half way through the week in severe sweet withdrawals, seeing mirages every where I looked, not of pools of cool water, but of melted chocolate instead.

So if anyone has any great ideas how to make it through my summer without gaining my weight in sweets, I'd welcome the advice and my scale. who is constantly under verbal attack, would thank you.

1 comment:

The Classy Kitchen said...

Oh how you make me laugh! Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. So eat that chocolate and tell me when you are, so that I can come enjoy some with you! What if there isn't chocolate in heaven? See? We better hoard it now!