Friday, April 1, 2011

mission call....


And the winner is.....my mom!

Backing up a little bit, a few weeks ago my parents put in their papers to go on their first mission. We have been very impatiently waiting for the arrival of their call and this week it finally came. We all gathered together Wednesday night and my sister brought a big world map. All of us made our guesses as to the location they would head to this fall.



We were missing three of my siblings and their families so we got them on cell phones and all waited expectantly. Images of exotic locations all in our heads. There were guesses from Australia to Canada and everywhere in between. My niece said Tahiti, and a nephew said South Africa. My parents even made their guesses. We had a great time in anticipation of their undisclosed location.



Finally the moment arrived and my mom opened it and started to read. When we heard the location we were all in shock momentarily, than burst out in laughter. My mom got her guess (which was made in jest), they were called to the Salt Lake City Mission in the Family History Center! They start September 2 and will finish in March 2013.




We are so happy to have them stay close. We were wondering how we would not have parents there for the important things the next year and a half, and are happy we get to share them for a bit longer. I think Heavenly Father knew our family needed to take baby steps in accepting parents serving missions. Maybe the next call will be to Boise Idaho and then maybe eventually somewhere even further! :)

Congratulations mom and dad! You both are such examples to me, and I appreciate your willingness to serve the Lord far and abroad, or right next door. We love you!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

That's so funny! They'll do great, and I'm glad they don't have to go too far. I loved seeing the pictures of your family, especially the one with your mom laughing after they opened the call. Tell them congratulations!

The Classy Kitchen said...

Nice thiefage! What is wrong with the picture of you? I thought you looked cute! Plus, your facial expression is priceless!

The Brown Family said...

What great news! Such cute family pictures.

Kim

laurel said...

That is so great! Love the pictures. You got some great ones. We keep teasing Austin that he will go to the St. George mission. I think being close is great too!