Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!


We did not get Christmas cards out this year! It has been a crazy season and something had to slide, so I chose Christmas cards. We had a wonderful Christmas. Although we were blessed to have many presents under the tree, that isn't what I will remember and I hope it isn't what the kids will remember. I hope they will remember the times we spent together as a family . I hope they will remember the Savior.

So in place of my traditional Christmas letter, I wanted to take a minute and write of my feelings of Christ today. For of all my blessings, and great moments of the past year, what is most important to me, is my family, faith and beliefs. I take so much time on this blog recounting the silly, humorous day to day happenings. While humor and lightheartedness has a big part in my life, it isn't my entire life. At the end of the day, I want to leave no doubt in the minds of my children and friends that I have deep feelings about many things, especially Jesus Christ.


My thoughts often turn toward my Savior during December, but a lesson in church today made me realize how much I need to think of Christ during the rest of the year. I haven't written down my testimony about my Savior in a long time, and as this is my journal of sorts I wanted to take the opportunity to do so today.

I know He lives. Although I have not seen him with my earthly eyes, I have no doubt of His existence and presence in my life. I know He came to earth and walked the dusty roads teaching and blessing the lives of all who crossed his path. I know He freely chose to sacrifice his perfect life for my imperfect one. I know because of this great sacrifice, I can not only live forever but have the opportunity to live with my Savior and my Heavenly Father again-- More importantly, I can do so with my family.

I have no doubt of Christ's compassion. I know His suffering in Gethsemane wasn't only for my sins, but for all the hardships, trials, doubts, struggles and pain I would go through. I know His atonement makes it possible for him to have true empathy for me in whatever situation I find myself. There have been many times I have found peace in difficult circumstances. I know that peace has come from Him who has gone through all. There is no earthly reason during the darkest times, I have found comfort. That reason comes from above.

I know my Savior is profoundly aware of me personally, not just generally. I know I can increase my relationship with Him through study of His words and thoughtful prayer. I know I take for granted so many things in my life, many times, the most important things. I fall short so much of the time. But because of my Savior, even when I fall short, all is not lost. He brings hope.

So as this Christmas season draws to a close, I wanted to take a minute and declare my testimony of Jesus Christ. That perhaps in the months ahead, as life gets hectic and problems arise, I can reflect back on these words and refocus on what truly is important. I think the greatest gift of the Christmas season isn't something beautifully wrapped under a tree; but it's in each positive step we make in our life, that brings us closer to Him whose birth we celebrate. I hope I take advantage of this great gift throughout each month of the coming year.

4 comments:

laurel said...

Looks like you all had a great Christmas. We too let the cards slide....maybe after the New Yeat. Ever heard of Easter cards?

Thanks for your testimony! That is Christmas true and true.

Peggy Knighton said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony! How wonderful it is to stop and ponder and feel and express our deep love for the Savior of the world!

The Brown Family said...

I loved reading your testimony of Christ. Just what I need this morning.

Kim

The Hurst Family said...

Amen! Thanks for sharing that. It resonated beautifully in my soul.