Saturday, December 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Ryan!!

Ryan turned 18 a few days ago. Good grief, I'm not that old! He enjoyed getting an ipod touch and I thought that would be the highlight of his night until four of his friends showed up to surprise him. Ryan has always been blessed with such great friends. As a parent, good friends for your teenagers is so important, and I am grateful of the caliber of friends he associates with. He has always had more friends that are girls than guys. Who can blame him with all these beautiful young women. It was fun to hear the giggles and laughs as they visited. Thanks to Keslee, Michelle, Heather and Beth who made his birthday so memorable.

I wrote a poem for him, and it made me cry writing it, but the best reward was seeing him get a bit choked up and being the recipient of one of his big bear hugs. Once again I get a gift on someone else's birthday. Hugs from teenagers are far too rare, especially for sappy mom's.



Happy 18th Birthday Ryan

I can't believe the day has finally arrived;
My oldest child turned 18 and I survived!
As I think back through the past many years,
many memories bring smiles and happy tears.

I remember the early days of jaundice and lights;
It seemed to last forever till I could hold my baby tight.
Then there was his early love of water and sprints to the bath;
Little did I know years of being a swimmer, lay in his path.

Who knew that the terrible twos could be so dramatic,
vomiting on demand became very problematic.
(Although it did get me out of a ticket once)
He wanted his first artistic talents to last awhile;
so using permanent markers became his style.

Then an interest in science began when he was four or five--
surprising experiments appeared frequently, which he contrived.
He loved Bill Nye, the science guy, whom he idolized,
and soon started wearing lab coats and red bow ties as his disguise.

His stature increased so quickly and it seemed it would not stop.
At 12 he passed his mom up despite how she would hop.
His brain grew with his body and he loved absorbing facts;
He kept us on our toes, every truth to be exact.

During the teenage years, some people feared his size;
But little did they know, a gentle giant would arise.
His heart has always been as large as his mind and frame;
A fact anyone who knows him, would readily acclaim.

His faith and knowledge of the scriptures is so profound;
We have learned from his example and knowledge all around.
Many times, walking into his room, you might pause for a bit,
And notice he is on his knees praying instead of in a sit.

His hard work and studious efforts for years on end,
paid off in a full tuition scholarship, for which we all commend.
His has been frugal in his spending, saving half of what he earns;
With eyes on an LDS mission, always been a chief concern.

So happy wonderful birthday, to this great big son of mine;
He has and always will, make this mom proud and sublime.
Dreading the time he will leave this house he has called home;
To go and make his way, and a life all his own.

Although the tears fall quickly, contemplating that day,
I will treasure these months ahead as memories to replay.
I love you Ryan, for who you are and who you will be;
and for the fact you'll always have a big bear hug, just for me.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

He sounds like a great kid. It's so fun and hard at the same time, watching them grow so fast!

Peggy Knighton said...

Happy Birthday, Ryan! That is such a great poem that you wrote, Valorie. Ryan is among the best of the best. He will forever stay close to you, because that is the kind of young man that he is. I have four just like him that I count as amazing young men! I am proud to know Ryan!

The Johnsons said...

Happy Birthday Ryan. Yet again, another great poem by Val!!! I wish I had that talent.

laurel said...

Happy b-day! You are right, having them turn 18 is tough. He is such a great boy!!!