Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Change

That word always brings an emotional response, doesn't it? Such a simple word has powerful implications--it can mean new experiences, adventures, stepping outside comfort zones or it can mean something unknown, worrisome, and terrifying. Usually a combination of both. Life is full of changes, but I've always been a bit change-o-phobic (ok, maybe more than a bit, I don't even like to change brands of toothpaste!) and like to stay in my ruts, especially when my ruts are so fun, enjoyable and predictable.

This past week I was released from my calling working with the young women. To say I was a bit heartsick would be an understatement. I remember when I was released from the Primary and felt very similar, wondering if I could feel the same attachment to teenage girls and nearly 15 months later I can't imagine not having activities with them every week and teaching them on Sunday. I love them as if they were my own. They truly have given me so much joy in my life. I even felt young again, which when you are my age is a great accomplishment!! But changes happen, and I will always go and serve wherever I am called. Kelly gets the privilege of now working in the Young Men's presidency and specifically with the 14 & 15 year olds. He will be wonderful. I told Kelly that I needed a calling where I wouldn't get emotionally involved Perhaps something with building maintenance or the library? Kelly said it wouldn't matter because I'd just find a way to become attached to mops, soap dispensers and copy machines. The greatest blessing from serving in our church, is that your capacity to love just increases. So I'm hoping that will continue to be true as I work with the women in Relief Society.

I am realizing that just because you do something different doesn't mean that you turn off the great feelings and memories from before. I still love the primary children, I can't imagine not loving the youth and now I get the opportunity to love to women in my ward. I haven't served in the Relief Society for many years, so I am very humbled and intimidated. But the new president is such a wonderful woman, and I know I will learn a great deal from her. Life is teaching me that it's important to be grateful for change--because no matter what form it takes, it will always be there and embracing something is always better than dreading it. So even though my old rut was wonderful, I'm hoping this new furrow I'm plowing with hold just as much joy.

6 comments:

Dione said...

I love that you suggested building maintenance and I love that Kelly suggested you'd just fall in love with the mop & cleaners. He knows that whatever it is you are called to do you will magnify your calling and love it!

The Hurst Family said...

I know you'll put your whole soul into whatever the Lord asks of you Valorie. That's one of the things I admire about you the most. My hand is way up in sustaining you and all the changes that have taken place. (could that be because I made it through unchanged and am soooo happy about that?) You'll go and do the thing the Lord commands and we'll all be blessed for it. RaeAnn

The Brown Family said...

This always happens to me, too! I have just found out that the pianist who works with me in primary is being released. It has shocked me into the fact that the clock is probably ticking for me too and I don't know how I will ever leave this calling!!

The RS ladies will love you and you already love them because you have loved their daughters.

Kim

Amberly said...

and just when i thought i couldn't cry anymore... thank you, thank you.

Unknown said...

You will love RS. It is true that your heart grows and grows around wherever we are asked to serve. Those YW were lucky to have you.

Shauna said...

Any organization is so lucky to have you since you put your whole heart into your callings! Young Womens is one organization I have yet to serve in but I know my time will come. I can only imagine the love that you develop for those girls! Good luck with your new calling! At least you don't have to worry about falling in love with soap dispensers or mops! :)