Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

I have an incredible mother. I could write a book about all her talents and wonderful things she has and continues to teach me, but instead I settled for yet another one of my poems. As always, I write what comes to mind knowing I'm not an English major. Forgive all the gramatical and punctuation errors and know I just love to use words to express all my thoughts, both the silly and the serious.
To my mom on Mother's Day:
Words completely fail me
on this beautiful Mother’s Day;
for how do you express feelings in rhyme
in a sincere yet witty way?
How do you transfer the thoughts of gratitude
that have accumulated over the years.
All the times of service, laughter, understanding
and even an occasional tear.

You were there through the teenage trials,
with advice I did not want;
but when your wisdom proved correct
you never once did flaunt.
I remember the day in a college apartment
when the car lights faded away--
And I thought my life would be better
without a mom there every day.

All the sudden I grew up quickly,
which is what happens when left alone;
and I realized how much you did for me,
things I never really had known.
I began to appreciate the skills you taught,
the ones I complained about as I grew.
For who would know that years later--
cute boys would like them too!

And suddenly to me, you had changed
right before my very eyes.
You were now a mom and best friend
which caught me by surprise.
I had the best of both worlds,
and now your advise I did seek--
As finally came the realization
that you weren’t an antique!

Now the time has come that I’m a mother
and the job seems much too large.
It is so very intimidating
now that I’m the one in charge.
When times get overwhelming
and I wonder if I’m on the right track;
I look toward your example
and try to make up for what I lack.

Some days my kids will tell me
words I whined to you long ago,
Things like “I won’t do that when I’m a mom”
and it seems so apropos.
Life has come full circle
and time marches on too fast.
I find myself trying to be a mom like you are
even though I'll never surpass.

Thank you so much for all you’ve done
for me throughout your life.
You’ve helped make mine easier,
and filled with much less strife.
I love you so very much,
please forgive my inadequate prose;
for when it comes right down to it,
words of love are hard to compose.

2 comments:

The Hurst Family said...

You are a talented poet Valerie. I love blogging because I get to know people in a way I otherwise wouldn't. Thanks for sharing you talent. RaeAnn

Dione said...

That was beautiful! You have such a talent for the written word! Your mom sounds amazing - it looks like you've grown up to be just like her!