Saturday, October 22, 2011

mommy moments....


So many times it is easy to get caught up in the hustle and stress of everyday life that I forget to take time to record the small moments that make me so happy to be a mom. The past couple weeks have been full of them as I have spent some time reflecting. These are a few things that I want to remember.

Hugging Ryan in the temple as he went through for the first time.

Witnessing the huge smile on Cassie's face when she told me how Josh took the medal she received in an Irish Dance competition and held it up to his friend and told him that she was Olympic materiel and she made forty girls cry when she received it. (It's always a shock to a parent when a child tattles about good things a sibling did!!)

Mark getting 100 percent on his spelling test! If you knew how much blood, sweat and chocolate went into getting him through his homework each week, you'd know what a huge thing this is!! (One week he refused to learn his words because they had the silent letters in them, like knife, comb and so on...he said if you can't hear the letter than he didn't have to spell it! I really want to have the authors of the English Language spend time helping this kid with his spelling!)

Setting six places at the dinner table for a few days when Ryan was home for Fall Break.

Watching Josh and Kelly give Josh's old car a tune up together and the triumph on both their faces when the car started after their efforts.

Seeing all four of my kids laughing and chasing each other around and actually appreciating the noise and chaos of the moment.

Being a mother is the hardest, most challenging thing I have ever done. It has brought the most worry, stress and anxiety, but most importantly, it has brought me tremendous joy and fulfillment. When I was knee deep in diapers, temper tantrums and toddlers for so many years, I couldn’t foresee ever wanting time to stand still. But as life is changing at such a rapid pace, I wish I took more time to write down the mommy moments that happen quietly in the midst of the hustle and bustle and appreciated them a bit more.

2 comments:

Rachael Anderson said...

Loved this post! Thanks for the beautiful reminder all of us moms need to hear every day.

laurel said...

The temple! We are doing it Nov. 19. I seriously can't handle the growing up are two oldest are doing. Val, what are we going to do? We will be a mess at the MTC the same day! Heavens, we could flood Provo together.

Love your memories. I think this time in our lives is a very reflective time. I can't believe the emotions I am feeling!

I hope you don't mind if I check in on how you are doing over the next couple of years.


You are so great! I hope you got the prize I finally sent to you! Sheesh....sorry it took so long. I am hoping it made it to you safe and sound.