Friday, December 25, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree.....


Today, I looked around at the beautifully lighted and decorated Christmas trees in the house, and the presents that surrounded them; the stockings that hung on an actual fireplace, a train around the tree. Although it was a beautiful sight I found my thoughts going back to another tree from a Christmas long ago.

I remember the first Christmas tree Kelly and I ever bought. We'd been married about a year and a half and lived in a little apartment. We drove a car almost as old as ourselves, and brought in just enough money to cover our small rent, and a few other necessities. We had this great couch that was purchased from a thrift store that sat proudly in the center of our living room. When you sat in (notice I said in, not on) this couch your knees quickly found your shoulders as the rest of you was gobbled up by the weakened springs. We would let our guests sit on the couch and we would sit on the floor. I'm sure they thought that we were being polite as that was the only piece of furniture in the room, but secretly we had a plan. You see, with the unique design of the couch, things in pockets just had a tendency to fall out and disappear. Once every other week or so we would tip over the couch and find all the spare change that was left. .53 cents could get us a root beer float to share from the little shop down the street, and on a particularly generous week we had $1.06 for two!

Before you feel too sorry for us, let me tell you that those were great memories. Kelly and I reflect back often on how happiness truly can come in humble circumstances. That Christmas we decided to splurge on a tree, a real tree. A week or so before Christmas we went to a lot and found a beautiful tree, it was tall and shaped perfectly as long as you looked at just the right place; we found it in a discounted area for a steal!! We came home and turned the side that had a big concave hole and no branches to the back and decorated the rest with inexpensive ornaments that were donated or homemade. Sure it leaned a bit precariously to one side, but it was ours, and we were proud of it. The next day we went to church and when we returned home I remember seeing the big beautiful tree in a heap on the floor. It had tipped over and broken glass and lights littered the carpet. Kelly, the ever inventive man I married, did not despair but got out his trusty tool kit and drilled a screw into the ceiling and wrapped wire around the top of the tree and then to the screw. A little unorthodox but we were back in business.

Today as I thought back to the lopsided, disfigured tree tied into a screw in our ceiling, it brought a smile. We weren't able to afford anything under the tree that year, just a few things in our stockings which were stapled to the wall, but it was a sight to behold and a memory I'll always cherish.

I love Christmas and over the years I have collected quite a bit of decorations. We have two big artificial pre-lit trees with beautiful and shiny ornaments that drip from the branches. The trees shine in prominent places that can be seen from windows and fill up a room. They stand straight and tall and if there is a hole to be found it can quickly be repaired by bending the wire branches. Perfection is guaranteed. Although they are truly beautiful and color coordinated, something is missing in the translation. Sometimes I long for the simpler times when happiness could be found in a leaning tower of Christmas tree, a dreary wall brightened by stockings and a couch that brought us such blessings. I am realizing that imperfect situations can indeed create perfect memories.

Merry Christmas!!

4 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Great story! I love to hear memories like that!! Jeff and I have a few of our own that we talk about on occasion!! Thanks for the smile and leaving me feeling blessed

Amberly said...

i love that story so so much. it makes me smile every time i hear it! i just love you. thanks for chatting with me the other day!

laurel said...

I love this so much!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. It reminded me of our first CHristmas together. Poor, but happy! This story is such a treasure! Your kids will be so glad you wrote it down for them to always remember.

The Classy Kitchen said...

Val, you really have such a sweet way of saying things. You really should be a writer!