Wednesday, July 20, 2011

opposable thumbs...

It supposedly separates man from apes and this morning I am discovering why.  I feel very clumsy and apelike today. Yesterday I was hit by a sweet teenage driver who thought she was at a four way stop instead of a two way. She pulled out right in front of me and our cars collided. 

My hand hurt at the scene, where it gripped the steering wheel, but it wasn't any big thing. Throughout the day and evening it got worse and I couldn't grip things or use it much. I went into instacare last night and after xrays they determined it was a sprain. Because of the location of the pain and the chance the bone  could have a hairline fracture they immobilized with a hard half cast.  Thus my thumb and wrist aren"t working independent of each other and have taken on primate characteristics.

I have conked my forehead several times in the last few minutes while trying to brush hair out of my face. I will probably have a cute bruise on my head by the end of the day. The kids enjoy just hanging around to witness that one.  Don't even get me started on fasteners like hooks,buttons,zippers or snaps.  I didn't make any speed records at getting dressed this morning.  I am typing with one hand and developing a strong dislike for capitalization and anything involving the shift and control keys.  Cass put my hair in a ponytail for me today after feeling pity watching my unsuccessful attempts.  I can't crochet or hold a book so hobbies are on hold.  Thank goodness chocolate consumption only requires one hand or else I would be in total despair!  :)

Seriously, I am grateful no one was hurt in the accident and by the end of this experience I will have developed a profound appreciation for thumbs and wrists.  Just don't be surprised if the next time you see me I am making unintelligible sounds, climbing trees,  and eating a banana, albeit a chocolate covered one.

2 comments:

The Classy Kitchen said...

I say, milk it! Let everyone cater to you for at least a month! :)

Peggy Knighton said...

Valerie, if I ever get in an accident and get hurt, I hope I can have the same sense of humor that you have!

Also, you are very much like your sister -- a great writer! You should write a book too! I love reading what you post!

I also LOVE your new family photo! What an amazing family you all are! We love you!